Monday, May 31, 2010

It pretty much comes down to lenses, light and you....

Something which has erked me ever since I have started out in the world of photography is people who sprout of about the expensiveness of their camera. Let me make this completely clear. Just because you have an expensive camera  - doesn't mean you will take photos that will blow people away.

It does not matter what camera you use. AT ALL.  When submitting entries into my local club for critique I often put ones in from many years ago taken with a 5 megapixel point and shoot camera just to prove this point.

Many hobbiests to not understand that it takes the best part of 3 things, lenses, lighting and YOU to create photographs with the WOW factor, not the fact that you have the biggest bank account. 

Pretty much even the 'low end' entry level DSLR's these days produce fantastic results.....and unless you intend to head into the serious amateur or professional level there is no need to spend fantastic amounts on your camera body.

I would suggest however investing in some good quality glass. Lenses with the lowest f stop possible that you can afford....the lower the better...especially if you're intending on working with natural light or indoors often.

Knowing how to use available light is also very important. If you are going to head in the flash direction (which I have made the decision NOT to) know how to use it - simply firing one off isn't going to necessarily do your photo any favours. Know how to use ISO settings, f stops and USE them.

Lastly and most importantly YOU are the most important factor in getting a good shot. You need to think in terms of the finished picture and compose it accordingly. You need to plan ahead and see things before they happen. You need to SEE.  Pointing a very expensive camera at random subjects and hoping for the best isn't going to cut it.

Don't get me wrong. I do NOW own some very expensive tools, including a 5DII and 3 L series lenses that I wont prattle on about here.  But they are just tools. They do not take great photos for me. I have to do the work. They just make my job easier. They're job is to 'get out of my way of taking photos'. I read this somewhere and I really liked the quote. Can't remember where I found it now though.

When people talk about DaVinci's Mona Lisa they don't exactly talk about how expensive his paint brushes where do they? Point made.

No comments:

Post a Comment